A felt hat could be one of the most expensive hats you can have in your wardrobe. Felt material is often the highest quality material which costs than any type of material used to make a hat. In addition, a suitable felt hat will take you a lot of time and effort to search for the most suitable one.
In case you have found for yourself the best felt hat for women on the market, you might be interested in how to take care of your felt hat in order to make it last as long as possible.
The article below will provide you some of the most useful and essential tips on how to store your felt hat and how to wash your hat properly.
Here are some tips on storing your felt hat:
If you don’t intend to wear your hat for a long time, you can store it in a hatbox or any type of storage specifically designed to store hat. This will prevent your hat from losing shape.
In case you don’t have any specific hatbox, you can stuff the crown of your felt hat with soft tissue paper. This is not a rocket science as you can see new bags and hats in store are always stuffed with paper to keep their forms. When you open your felt hat out of its original package, you can clearly see that the manufacturer has already stuffed this new felt hat with soft paper as well- which you can keep it for further use.
If you want to hang up your hat, you can put it on the top shelf of your wardrobe so that you don’t accidentally put other stuff onto the hat.
It is much better for you to put your felt hat onto the shelf. However, if you don’t have any shelf, you can put it on a hook. If your hook has a sharp pointy tip, you should not put your hat on at all as the sharp tip can damage the shape of the crown and might even destroy the material.
Regardless of which storage you use for storing your hat, make sure that you store it in a dark cool place. If you let your precious felt hat exposed to the board sunlight, the material of this hat would be negatively impacted due to the harm of the ultraviolet ray.
In addition, make sure that the environment where you store your felt hat is not too dry not to humid. When it is too dry, the straws of the hat will also be dried, increasing the probability of being broken.
Furthermore, you should not store your felt hat near a heat source or in anywhere where it is too hot. If you store your hat in these places, the heat can cause the sweatband to shrink and lose its effectiveness to keep your head cool. Not to mention that when the sweatband shrinks, it would be tighter and become too small for your head.
It is also very important to keep your hat in a cool dry area so that mold and mildew cannot develop on the surface of the felt hat. It is worth noting that it is very important to keep a felt hat in a cool place. Unlike any other type of hat, wool and felt material is much more vulnerable to mold and mildew.
You can consider covering your felt hat with a high quality vinyl hat cover to make sure dirt could not get in contact with your valuable hat.
Here are some tips on cleaning your felt hat:
After you wear your felt hat for a few times, although it still look good, you should wash it to make sure that it maintain the best condition. Sweat and dirt trapped inside the felt hat can deteriorate the quality of the hat severely later on. So make sure you clean your felt hat on a frequent basis.
Before you clean your felt hat, remember to read the instruction labels attached to the hat. Most of the felt hats couldn’t be washed with the washing machine. Some can be washed with the washing machine under certain low levels of temperature.
The best way to wash your felt hat is washing by hand and handling it carefully.
1. Follow these steps below for cleaning your felt hat:
- You should use a soft bristled brush to brush the crown and the brim gently. If you don’t have brush in hand, you can pick up a duct tape and use the sticky side to pick up dirt and lint. You should brush the hat in the same directions all way around.
- Alternatively, you can use a lint roller to help pick up dirt and hair on the hat for you.
- If the dirt is too stubborn, you can use a moist and clean cloth to brush the spot.
- If you want to get rid of grease on your felt hat, you should sprinkle the greasing spot with corn starch. Then wait for about 10 to 15 minutes and then brush the spot away to remove the corn starch, which now has fully absorbed the stain.
- If you don’t have corn starch, you can use a fabric stain remover. You should apply the remover onto a clean cloth and then use the cloth to blot the stain. Wait for 10 minutes and then rinse the cloth before wiping the stain to clean any remover left.
2. Here is what you should follow to deep clean your felt hat.
You should deep clean your felt hat when there are a lot of hard and stubborn spots on your hat. Also when you have been wearing your felt hat for a long time, you should wash it to get rid of dirt and sweat as well as stains which are absorbed deep into the material of the hat.
- First, you should sprinkle a type of absorbent powder on the felt hat. There are several types of absorbent powders for you to choose from, which you should choose according to the color of the hat: baking soda for white hat and wheat germ for black hat.
- Wait for several hours for the powder to penetrate deeply into the hat.
- While waiting, you can take the sweatband out and wash it with mild detergent. Then rinse the sweatband carefully so that no soap is left on it and blot it to dry.
- Gently shake the hat to remove the powder. You can also use a mini vacuum cleaner to suck in the powder. Remember to change the setting of the cleaner to the minimum suction power to prevent it from damaging the shape of the hat.
- Finally, you can clean your hat normally following these steps mentioned above.
NB: Before you apply powder on all over the felt hat, you should only apply a small amount onto a small area to make sure the powder doesn’t change the color of your hat.
After cleaning your felt hat, you should let it dry naturally. Place it in a windy place away from the sunlight and wait for the felt hat to dry on its own.
No felt hat should be wash with high level of temperature and tumble dry.
Finally, here are some tips of using your felt hat:
Wool and felt material are not waterproof material so that you should not wear your felt hat when it is raining outside. When the felt hat get too much wet, when it dries out, it couldn’t return to its original shape and form.
You can also use a felt hat protection spray which can make your felt hat become more water repellent when you apply it onto the hat whenever you wear the hat.
When you have to iron your felt hat, you should not use high heat as it would burn the felt easily.
After you wear your felt hat outside, you should use a soft bristled brush to brush off dirt gently so that dirt would not accumulate inside the material of the felt hat.
In case you accidentally spill something on your felt hat such as coffee, you need to blot the spill spot immediately with white cloth which is absorbent. You can also spray some cleaners which are made specifically for felt hat before blotting.
If you want to know about how to take care of your other types of hats such as your baseball cap, you can click here http://thebesthat.com/tips-on-taking-good-care-of-your-hat/.
Finally, always handle your felt hat with care. And properly more care than when you handle other types of hat. When you take the hat in and out of your hat, remember to grab the brim instead of the crown to prevent the crown from losing its shape.
Like any other pieces of your clothing, if you want your felt hats to look as new and last as long as possible, you need to pay extra care and attention to cleaning and using it. I hope with all of the tips above, you could be able to take care of your felt hat properly and ensure its highest quality all of the time.