Outback hat is widely known as the Aussie style of the American cowboy hat. It comes with the sides of the brim curving upward like the cowboy hat. However, the crown of an outback hat takes the shape of safari style crown. You can typically wear this hat to a wide variety of occasions and styles.
This is one of the most popular hats with thousands of options for you to choose from. These hats can be made from fur felt, straw and canvas material. Most of these hats come in dark colors including brown and black. Yet you can also have other choices such as olive and khaki. This is a great addition for anyone who loves to wear Western style but wants a less dramatic hat rather than a cowboy hat.
Before making your decision, take a look at this review below for some of the best outback hats that you can find on the market.
Let’s take a look at the most popular outback hats on the market and learn more about their features, pros and cons:
1. Dorfman-Pacific Weathered Cotton Outback Hat With Chin Cord
Buy it now
Dorfman Pacific is one of the biggest and most popular hat companies that produce and sell outback hat that you can find on the market. This Australian outback hat offers many good qualities which are traditional of the company’s product. It is made from 52% of high quality cotton and 48% of polyester. You can choose from size small, medium, large to xxx large. There are 3 colors for you to choose from namely brown, black and khaki. The width of the brim is 2.7 inches.
- The Weathered cotton gives the hat a rugged, broken-in look which would complement your vintage or Western inspired style nicely.
- The inner sweatband of this hat is made with high quality lining which is not only smooth and soft but also capable of absorbing sweat effectively.
- This hat is suitable to wear in both sunny and windy kinds of weather. With the round brim, both of your face and your neck are protected against the harsh sun rays. The chin strap helps to secure the hat on your face when it is windy.
- The construction of the hat is sturdy and solid.
- Last but not least, this hat is rated 50 + for its ultraviolet protection factor to block the harmful elements from getting into your face.
- This outback hat is quite stiff and would take you a lot of time for it to break in and feel comfortable on your head.
2. Dorfman Pacific Men’s 1 Piece Garment Washed Twill Outback Hat With Genuine Leather Trim
Buy it now
This men’s outback hat is made of 100 % of cotton. There are 5 options of colors for you to choose from including bark, khaki, black, olive and putty. They all come with a brown faux leather band. You can choose among three different sizes namely medium, large and extra large. The width of the brim is 3 inches.
- The brim of this hat is shapeable thanks to the inner wire. You can easily shape the brim up and down to create the style that you like.
- You have a wider range of colors to choose from. Also if you are looking for a white or bright colored outback hat, this is one of the few hats that offer you these colors.
- The material of this hat is soft and lightweight. In fact, this hat only weighs 1.2 pounds so that you can feel comfortable while wearing this hat all day long.
- It comes with antique eyelets for extra air ventilation to keep your head cool. You can wear this hat all year around.
- It is washed by hand only.
- The sizes of this hat run a little bit bigger than other outback hats of the same size on the market. There is no small size.
3. Outback Trading Co Men’s Co. Kodiak Oilskin Hat – 1480 Brown
Buy it now
This hat is made from 100 % of cotton. It is available in 5 sizes, ranging from size small to size xx-large. It has 3 options of colors namely brown, black and field tan, each with different colors on the hat band. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4.5 inches.
- The chin cord of the hat is made from high quality material to be very sturdy and durable. It is also easy to adjust for a perfect fit.
- The Oilskin material is of high quality to be very comfortable, lightweight and warm enough for you during the winter days. In addition, it is very durable and will stand well against the test of time.
- In case you want an outback hat with a nice detail on the hat band, you can consider this option.
- The brim of this hat is wide and round. Therefore, it is able to provide a 360 degree protection for your face, your neck and your ears.
- It is worth mentioning that the material is rated 50 + for its ultraviolet protection factor so that you can reduce the risk of getting sun burn and other skin damage with this hat.
- Like any other hat from Outback Trading Company, this hat is made with excellent craftsmanship.
- This leather outback hat would be really hot to be worn in the summer.
4. Indiana Jones Men’s All Seasons Outback
Buy it now
This Indiana Jones Men’s all seasons outback hat is made of 100 % of wool material with wool rich red or black lining. It features an alligator print with leather tails trim. There are 2 different options of colors including brown and olive. It is available in 6 different sizes ranging from Small to xxx large. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4 inches. This is a low volume hat.
- The construction of this hat is very firm and sturdy with stiff crown and brim. You don’t have to worry that the brim might become too flimsy and floppy, blocking your view when there is a big wind coming.
- While the construction of the hat is solid, you can actually crush the hat and fold it into the smaller piece to stuff into your bag for easy storage and carrying around.
- It is water repellent to keep your head dry in the light rain.
- If you are a kind of person with a plus size head having trouble finding the right size, you can consider this hat. It offers up to size xxx large for your utmost comfort.
- Like the name suggests, you can actually wear the hat for all 4 of seasons. It would be able to keep your warm in the cold winter days but also let your head stay cool in the summer as well.
- The hat is the perfect mimic of Indiana Jones’ hat. So if you want to look like Harrison Ford or want a hat for your costume dress, this hat is really worth considering.
- This hat should be hand washed with warm water only. If you wash it with hot water in the washing machine, the hat would shrink.
5. Scala Classico Men’s Crushable Felt Outback Hat
Buy it now
This men’s outback hat is made of 100 % of wool. This hat features a deluxe faux leather band with a feather attached to the band of the hat. There are 6 sizes available to you for your consideration including small, medium, and large and xxx large. This hat is made in 6 different options of colors namely Brown, black, chocolate and khaki. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4.5 inches- a high profile crown.
- The material of this hat is of high quality to be very soft and smooth. It is also foldable and crushable so that you can pack this hat with you when you go travelling.
- You can also wear this hat when it is lightly rainy as the hat is water repellent and has a quick drying performance.
- Last but not least, this hat comes in a wide variety of different unique colors for you to choose from. There are also many large sizes for you to find the perfect fit.
- The construction of the hat is very solid, well made and heavy duty. You can wear this hat for a long time and it still able to retain its shape well.
- The inner sweatband of the hat is made of high quality cotton to absorb sweat from your head and forehead effectively and keep you warm yet cool all of the time.
- Like the majority of leather outback hat and wool felt hats on the market, you should only wash the hat by hand. Washing it with warm water using the washing machine would make the hat shrink in size.
- Some colors don’t come in full options of size.
6. Outback Trading Co Men’s Co. Oilskin River Guide Hat – 1497Tan
Buy it now
Here comes another great Australian outback hat from the Outback Trading Hat Company. This hat is made of 100 % of Oilskin-treated waterproof cotton with a leather hat band. The Outback’s logo wraps around the hat’s crown. There are 3 colors for you to choose from namely brown, tan and sage. The width of the brim is 3 inches while the height of the crown is 4.25 inches. There are 4 sizes available for your consideration: small, medium, large and extra large.
- This men’s outback hat is made with extremely high quality material to be very soft, lightweight and waterproof. In addition, the material provides you enough air ventilation to keep your cool during a day.
- With the rugged outback style, you can wear this hat to a wide range of activities such as outdoors boating and fishing.
- You can wear this hat in all kinds of weathers as well. A chin strap would help to keep your hat in the right place in case it is windy. On the other hand, the waterproof oilskin material would help to keep you dry when you take part in some water activities.
- The brim is wide and round so that it can offer a lot of covers for your face, your ears and your neck when you are exposed to the harsh sun rays.
- The brim can become quite flimsy and floppy when there is a big wind coming. You also can’t shape the brim to the shape you desire as well like some other outback hats on the market.
7. Woolrich Men’s Crushed Felt Outback Hat
Buy it now
This Woolrich Men’s crushed felt outback hat is made of 100 % of other wool felt with wool rich red or black lining. There are 3 different options of colors including black, olive and khaki. It is available in 4 different sizes ranging from Small to X large. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4 inches. This is a low volume hat.
- This hat offers more options of colors than just the normal black and brown colors. You have other unique colors to wear to make sure you stand out from the crown.
- You can easily crush, fold and pack this hat before you put it into a small bag, making it easy and convenient for you to store or bring the hat around.
- This outback hat is water repellent so you can wear it while taking part in water activities or under the rain.
- The material of this hat is very soft and smooth. It is also capable of keeping your head warm during the winter days thank to the high quality wool material.
- The hat is well made with solid and study construction. All of the parts of the hat are nicely stitched with no loose stitching lines.
- This hat should be hand wash only. Washing it with the washing machine would make your hat shrink.
- The sweatband is made from faux leather, which could be hot and not so well ventilated.
8. Conner Hats Australian Wool Outback Crushable Water Proof Western Cowboy Hat
Buy it now
This men’s outback hat is made of 100 % of wool. This hat features a braided accent on the outer of the brim. The inner pouch and the sweatband are made in organic cotton. There are 4 sizes available to you for your consideration including small, medium, large and extra large. This hat is made in 4 different options of colors namely Brown, black and loden green. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4.5 inches- a high profile crown.
- With its simple yet fashionable and traditional style as well as solid neutral color, this hat could be paired well with other pieces of your clothing.
- This hat comes with a firm construction with enough flexibility for you to crush the hat and put inside a bag for storage and carrying around.
- With the UPF 50 + protection and a wide brim, the hat could provide your face a lot of shades out of the sun and protect your skin effectively from the harsh sun rays.
- The wool material of this outback hat is made of high quality material which is waterproof.
- This hat runs a little bit larger in size.
- If you want to buy the Lode green option of this hat, it looks quite brownish.
9. Conner Hats Men’s Bounty Hunter Water Resistant Cotton Hat
Buy it now
With the fabric made of 100 % of cotton, this hat is rated 50 + for its ultraviolet protection factor. The sizes of this hat run from small to medium, large, x large and xx large. This outback hat features a distressed look like leather. The width of the brim is 2.75 inches and the height of the crown is 5 inches. it is the hat with one of the highest crowns when you compare these outback hats on the list.
- The construction of this hat is sturdy, well constructed and durable as it can retain its shape for a long time.
- While the construction of this hat can stay well under the light rain, the material of this hat offers an ability to resist water effectively as well.
- The brim of this hat can be reshaped so that you can easily change its form to match with your preferences.
- Most of the outback hats on the market might come with the size X-large, but this hat offers size XX large as well, giving more options for people with plus size head.
- All of the parts of this hat are made with organic cotton including the sweatband and the inner pouch for the most comfortable feel for you when using and caring for this hat.
- This hat is hand made in Sri Lanka so that you can be assured about the uniqueness of the product.
- If you are looking for a leather outback hat but still want a hat with easy care and sufficient breathability, you can consider this option.
- There is only one option of color – the brown- for you to choose from.
10. Outback Trading Co Men’s Co. Grizzly Oilskin Hat – 1486 Black
Buy it now
This hat comes with a braided leather band and a matching leather chin cord and weather brass vents. There are 2 options of colors for you to choose from- black and brown. You can also choose from 4 sizes- small, medium, large and extra large. The width of the brim is 3 inches and the height of the crown is 4.25 inches.
- Most of the outback hats need attentive care while you can simply hose off and line dry this hat- this is very easy to clean it.
- The material of this hat is rated as UPF 50 + for its ability to block 99 % of the UVAs and UVBs from the harsh sun rays.
- This hat can also stand well against all kinds of rugged climates and weather conditions with its waterproof fabrics. Not to mention that it has a super quick drying performance.
- In addition, the inner sweatband of this hat is elastic to hug around your forehead nicely and comfortably.
- With the weight of 2.1 pounds, this hat is one of the lightest men’s outback hats you can find on the market.
- The hat band is not removable.
- Moreover, this hat is not vented so it could be really not in the summer.
As you can see, there are different styles of outback hat for you to choose from. Whether you are looking for a fur felt hat for a date night or a straw one, there is always a hat that meets your preference. The choices are endless, all you need are a little bit of time, and effort as well as researches before you can make your most informed decision.
I hope with the review above, you would be able to get some ideas of what hat you would like to have and quickly make up your mind about what outback hat you would like to buy and add to your hat collection.